In Part 1 of this blog, we established that you can take weight loss medications as long as you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle with exercise and a balanced diet. If your lifestyle modifications are not letting you shed those few extra pounds or a medical complication is making it impossible, then go ahead and pick up that bottle of weight loss pills from the pharmacy.
But wait a minute. This does not mean that you buy any over-the-counter anti-obesity medication (AOM)! Your first step should be to consult with a doctor. Based on your BMI, they will offer you the best prescription medication that will not only help you lose weight but also protect you from side effects that might result in combination with your other meds.
If you are planning to buy weight loss medications in Bergen County then you need to make sure that they are FDA-approved. We have come up with a list of such medications, which are mentioned below:
Note: These medications should only be used for a period of 12 weeks and must not be taken if you are a patient of high blood pressure, glaucoma, hyperthyroidism or heart disease.
- Brand Name: Alli, Xenical
- How Orlistat Works: It helps reduce the level of fat content your body takes in.
- Side Effects: Loose oily stool, diarrhea, uncontrollable bowel movements, gas
- Warnings: It might lower the level of certain vitamins in your body.
- Brand Name: Suprenza, Qysmia, Adipex-P
- How Phentermine-Topiramate Works: It helps decrease your appetite and fills up your stomach faster.
- Side Effects: Trouble sleeping, taste changes, tingling of feet and hands
- Warnings: This medication is not recommended for people who have glaucoma or hyperthyroidism. If you have a history of mood disorders, heart attack, kidney disease or abnormal heart rhythm, then consult with a doctor before taking the medication.
- Brand Name: Belviq
- How Lorcaserin Works: It fills up your stomach faster by passing signals through the serotonin receptors to your brain that you are not hungry.
- Side Effects: Feeling tired, cough, headaches
- Warnings: It might interact with your migraine, anxiety or depression medications and cause a reaction.
- Brand Name: Contrave, Mysimba
- How Naltrexone-Bupropion Works: It makes your stomach feel full faster and less hungry.
- Side Effects: Increased heart rate and blood pressure, headache, insomnia, vomiting, liver damage
- Warnings: This medication is not recommended for people who have a history of bulimia or anorexia seizures or high blood pressure. It also not recommended for people who are going through any kind of withdrawal.
There are a couple of other weight loss medications in New Jersey that you can try. These include:
- Liraglutide (Saxenda)
- Semaglutide (Ozempic)
The best thing about FDA-approved medications is that the benefits outweigh the side effects, which for these are only listed in the minor category. However, you still need to take some precautions and the best place to start is by working with a weight loss specialist like Dr. Panagiotou. As one of the best cardiologists in New Jersey and Bergen County, he will offer you the right advice on how to start using weight loss medications.